Monday, June 28, 2010

A Month Without a Cellphone (& Why This Has Been A Good Thing)

Hello, WORLD!!! WORLD before I go into this post, I just like to make an announcement of sorts that the S'sWP Blog will now be the exclusive website for all updates about my life. I will keep Blog updates flowing to both Facebook (which I mainly use for more exposure) & Twitter (where I mainly rift off of current events)but will very rarely update any personal info about me and my personal life on either one of them. Too much drama on Facebook lately and no place for getting personal on Twitter (which I would LOVE to keep that way!). Anywho... On with today's update********************************************************************************
WORLD, if you know anything about me, you know I am not a big fan of phone conversations. Why? Because I work on a phone all day long. Even as I type this, a client has me on hold. I do customer service for Comet Messenger Service from 8a-6p, 5 days a week. This is 50 hours of work a week which consist of at least 35 hours of the workweek on the phone. Not that I have a problem doing that or my job; I'm good at what I do and I have no problem working hard at all. The thing is when I get off work I am in no mood to talk to anybody unless we're talking about my kids. Most of my female friends know this as well as my address & the fact that after work, I usually head straight home tired until I need, *ahem*, "energy". I mentioned I do customer service for Comet, which I had done as a biker from 2003 to 2005, as a biker/office assistant for mid 2005 to early 2006, and as a full fledged office administration from that time in early 2006 to May, 2010, when I switched jobs (Actually I covered the change in earlier posts All GOOD THINGS & in detail w/ Goode N BIZZEE!!), I still in effect work for Comet but at least 35 other Courier companies as well. Anyway, I had my same cell phone number since 2004 because my working for Comet entitled me to my own phone for necessary communications w/drivers and bikers. Since I no longer work for Comet, I am no longer entitled to a phone. No problem here. The problem lies in the fact that I DO need a phone, so that my children can call me anytime they want to and my family can check up on me. Of course, getting a phone these days is as easy as getting a credit card in every sense of the analogy. If you got good credit, you can get one on credit. If not, your best option is pay as you go, but it's not your only option. With some companies that offer contracts, you can put a deposit (which you get back after a grace period) down and still get the contract plan instead of a PAYG plan, which will save you money in the long run. I could go the PAYG route except for one small problem: I want the iPhone 4! Why the iPhone 4 when so many other phones are available without the deposit? Because it is the phone I want. If you know anything about me, you should know I gets what I want instead of settling for less and I will go without whatever until I get the one I want. Anyway,as you might already know, my credit is fucked up due to student loans, various credit cards, medical bills, etc (and my lack of paying these bills back in a timely fashion), & among the etc is a $500 debt to AT&T, the only carrier that offers any type of iPhone. (BTW: All of my debts, and the efforts to pay them back, will be exposed to the WORLD in a brand new blog, SMOKKEE's BIG PAYBACK). So with that said, I must pay a $750 deposit plus the price of the phone, which will cost me $1100 total. WORLD, I am in position to get this phone if not this week or next then definitely in 2 weeks from this coming Friday, after I take care of rent.
***What's good in the meantime? The fact that I've went a month without a phone has reprogrammed my thinking. Before cellphones were the norm, I remembered every phone number I needed I needed to. Now, the only numbers I remember by heart are my BM's, my eldest daughter's, and 1 of my closest buddies, who sells weed. This are the only numbers I need for now but it makes one wonder why I dont know more. I think it's because we are spoiled by the fact that cellphones remember numbers for us and even if we lose the cellphone, most update info to an online site where you can retrieve every little nugget of information stored on the cellphone that was lost for easy replacement. WORLD, that makes us lazy and I would still be in that mode if not for the situation I found myself in. Whatever, WORLD. I know alot of yall like "that's TOO much for a phone" or "you're stupid! Just pay ya damn bills on time and get credit later for it!" and I know to a certain extent yall right. But when have I ever listened to any drumbeat besides that of my own heart? Answer that one and I might remember YOUR phone number as well. Until then, I'll be vocal in less than 4 weeks, so you won't be missing my voice much longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment