Thursday, April 2, 2015

B is for Belief (#AtoZChallenge)

Hello, WORLD! Smokkee here again. Posting twice in two days! Well, technically, three times if we're including the post I made to my SmokkeeScreenings blog explaining why I'm writing these posts. Either way it goes, I think maybe that's a record for me, one that won't even stand the next 24 hours.

Incidentally, this post wasn't what I intended to write about. I've touched on my spirituality a few times but never in depth like I can here and since I hadn't had a plan for my B post and still for the life of me can't think of something that starts with B that I'd want to write about. I'm sure there's plenty; I just can't think of any. I definitely know where I'm going with my G, my H, and my R posts already. It was deciding on my R post where I met my problem. I had two in mind and one was definitely going to be wrote, and you'll find out what that's about when we get to the R posts itself.

The other topic I had in mind was Religion.

Yeah. I know. Touchy subject for too many people and, oddly enough, not enough people at the same time. Odder still is the fact that I said it.

I, myself, haven't been what you call religious in a long time.

I'm still a work in progress.
Now, if I was forced to claim a religion, I'd probably say Buddhism is the one I'd be associated with these days but I'm not actually following any of the protocols. I haven't committed to practice, nor do I intend to. I don't study the basic literature nor any of Gautama Buddha's teachings on a regular basis but I do have a few books and I agree with most of what I've read from him.

So why Buddhism? The answer is because it makes sense mostly. It's all about bettering yourself, embracing your situations, your surroundings, etc. If you know the history of Buddha himself, you'd know that at the age of 29, he stopped praying to any gods (he had believed in polytheism or the theory that there was multiple gods) and left his home which, as the son of a king and queen, just happened to be a palace, decided to spend six years in the wilderness as a way of reaching Nirvana which I believe is a state of mind that allows a person to have inner peace.

 The popular belief is the reason behind all this spiritual journey he embarked on is he prayed not for himself since, as a prince, he didn't want for nothing, but he was tired of people suffering and of seeing the suffering of others. So he went to the forest to mediate on this and finally reached Nirvana and it apparently only took him six years to reach it.    

Me? I'm there already too but it took me 10 years and I didn't mediate once. All I did was a little spring cleansing of the mind, stopped releasing all the negativity energy I let my mind produce and refocus that energy into some type of positive output. 

So if I'm not a Buddhist, which I'm not, not technically, what am I then? Well, I'd tell anybody that'll listen that I'm an Agnostic, just like themselves. It's not that I don't believe in God or gods or "higher powers". Do they exists? Maybe, maybe not but my official answer is as honest as they come: I don't know.

Furthermore, nobody does. Only difference between me and most people is they actually care if there is one or not. I care about a few things in life these days and what happens to me after I die isn't one of them. The way I live my life, if there is a heaven, I should gain entry but if not, I'm sure I won't wind up in the place most people call hell. And if there's neither, so be that too. Bottom line, I don't care. I don't have any reason to care.

Which brings me to other religions. What other people believe is what other people believe but belief is a strong thing. Some people believe so much in what they believe in that if your beliefs aren't the same as their own, your beliefs, maybe you too, are invalid to them.

Which is why my truth angers a lot of people. My truth, as I've pointed out, isn't just my own truth. It's everybody's truth, regardless if they admit it or not. Nobody knows what comes next. As far as what came first, who the fuck cares? Seriously. I mean, why would that even matter?

Better question: Anybody got a time machine? No? Well, that was the one way we could find out the truth but if not that, how will we ever know with any certainty what happened? The answer is even simpler: we won't. Why it even matters is beyond me. I mean, do you need to know who invented painting on canvas or who invented the internet to enjoy looking at a painting or to enjoy a website?
Probably not, not unless you're anal.

If you are religious and you try to down somebody else's religion, you're a huge hypocrite in my book. And I'll do my best each and every time to insult that person's religion at every turn just because of that. Usually though not only do I not make fun of other people's beliefs, I don't mind being around religious people, no matter what their religion is, because most of them are trying to live what they think is a righteous life. Some, not all, mind you. Some people are just as phony as the people that started, say, *cough, cough* Jehovah Witnesses, the Mormons, and Scientology *cough*.
I'm not knocking none of those religions themselves but the forces behind these religions weren't looking out for the greater good of mankind. They were looking out for themselves. They may have true followers now but their whole system was founded on the idea of becoming gods on earth themselves *cough cough* just like Christianity *cough*, which was started 300 years after the birth of Christ. Don't believe me? Look it up. 

 Now with all that said, I do wanna add that I think religion is a must for some people. Most of us don't need a bible to know our right from our wrong but some of us.. Hey, if everybody's moral
compass was right, we'd all be saints but it's not and yet all of us aren't living versions of Grand Theft Auto either. Most of us aren't, but we do have some people who have no compassion for the next person, no regard for the next person's possessions, etc. People like THAT need Bibles or Qurans or whatever. That's why I feel religion is still a necessity. Just not one for me at least.
 

Later WORLD,
Smokkee


 



    

No comments:

Post a Comment