Monday, April 20, 2015

M is for More (#AtoZChallenge)

Hello, WORLD! Smokkee here, excited because the playoffs are here! Like I tweeted last Tuesday, it's kinda fitting that my BULLS beat the Atlanta Hawks, the team who ended the season with the best record in the Eastern Conference, on the last game of the season since we started this season with a loss to the Cleveland, team most people had stated would be the best team in the East. And Derrick Rose started the season playing and ended the season playing, something that Chicago hadn't seen in two years or so as well as Derrick looking fantastic in Game 1 against the Milwaukee Bucks this past Saturday. Game 2 comes on today but I don't expect us to have too many problems with these Bucks. Hell, I'm already looking forward to the next round against Cleveland, since Boston doesn't look like they're

Consider me happy.

Well, I shouldn't even have to say that. Yall already know I stay happy if you know me. If you don't, you surely may see a scowl on my face and think otherwise. Truth is, I'm truly happy. About 10-15 years back, I would have still said the exact same thing although I would have had no idea WHY I was still able to say it. I didn't know what I wanted to do in life, I had no real ambition besides making money, well, unless you count me really wanting to be a rapper a real ambition but back then, being good just wasn't enough and there was nothing like YouTube or Fb to help me out. OAN: I'm still pretty good lyrically too, but I digress... 

Anyway, I had no real sense of purpose, etc. Has any of that changed? Yes and no. I'll say yeah because I have tons of things I want to accomplish before I die and I know exactly how I want to be remembered afterwards but some things haven't changed. I definitely still want to make money (who doesn't?) and while I have a better sense of purpose, I have no idea which projects to start work on first. 

The one constant is I've stayed happy through all kinds of highs and the lowest of lows. I used to ask people "Are you happy?" and chuckle at any response other than a yes or no. If you can't say yes or no, you are not happy. A flat out response of 'no' may seem like it's no better than any other response besides yes but a no answer suggests that person is well aware of what's making him or her unhappy. I'm not sure who said it but I read somewhere that the secret to happiness is knowing what makes you unhappy.

I got another theory about happiness that doesn't have anything to do with knowing what makes you unhappy.  I call it just be happy. Just be it.  

Not that simple, huh? It really is. Let me explain. If you ask anybody what will make you happy right now, you'll get tons of different answers, right? I'd be willing to bet that most of those answers contain the word 'more'. People always think 'more'. More money, more friends, more time, more opportunities, etc.

The problem is 'more' itself. Sean Combs had a song called "More money, More problems". More friends come with more baggage. More opportunities often lead to more anxieties.

Think about it.

No, don't think about it. Think "less".

For instance, instead of wanting more money, think of how you can better invest the money you have, make that money work for you better. Instead of more friends, think less about new friends and focus on the friends you currently have that deserve that title and how you can preserve that friendship. More time is rarely a real issue if you use the time you do have better. No matter what troubles life throws at you, you can handle it. Just don't settle for it.

In fact, the more you appreciate all of the little nuisances that make your life yours, the better off you are and the better you're able to deal with them in the future. Stop getting angry at people who do something inconsiderate to you. Just strive not to be that person toward anybody else. Stop letting jobs that don't appreciate you have you feeling down about yourself: find a job that will appreciate you or even better, make the job you do have realize how valuable you are. The key is taking all of the things that would usually get you down and simply don't let them get you down. It's harder than it sounds, I know, but it's doable. Trust me.

That's it for this post, WORLD. Well, except for this Tweet that I tweak and Tweet every few months or so. It's essentially my blueprint to happiness and it's insanely easy to follow.




Later, WORLD.

Smokkee Singleton

No comments:

Post a Comment