Thursday, April 30, 2015

X is for Xenophobia (#AtoZChallenge)

On a few of these A to Z posts, maybe B, definitely V, I've talked about what's going on around us and how it's affecting us. I tried to explain why it's happening. There's no way to explain it with out mention xenophobia.

Xenophoia is defined as the fear or hatred of strangers or foreigners. Just taking the literal definition for what it's worth, xenophobia refers to fear of 50-80% of everybody else on the planet. Literally.

Now give the definition further thought.

Fear of foreigners is pretty straight forward. You know your own race or what your nationality is,  right? You'd be surprised how many people don't. I'd imagine there would be a lot less racist people if they really knew how many pureblood, one nationality people still existed today. Any of them still being alive would surprise me.

Think of the term 'strangers' now. How many people have you known for a while whom you've lost contact with for a brief period of time and after reconnecting realize you no longer really know that person? There's people you see everyday of your lives that you absolute know nothing about except that you see them everyday or, if you're xenophobic, the even scary fact that they probably see you everyday too?

Hell, even think about your own family. As highly unlikely as it seems, some people you can be around your entire life and you still wouldn't actually know that person. You've seen examples of it before, I'm sure. Somebody is arrested for something and the first thing some of the parents of the detained say is "No. My baby didn't do that. I know my baby wouldn't do something like that." and then they turn out to be guilty af.

I know, I know, extreme circumstance in this case but I'm just trying to prove a point. That point is unless you're two people at once, there's no way to really know, well, anybody. That would make a xenopobic person scared of not 50-80% of the people in the world but 100%.  And you already know one thing about cowards is they become dangerous when threatened and they damn near always feel threatened. Ask George Zimmerman.

It all goes back to what I was saying a few post back. The more you know, the less things will bother you. I was just speaking about people and things in general but this goes especially for xenophobic people. Educate yourselves, xenophobes, for all our sakes.


Smokkee 


No comments:

Post a Comment